Friday, November 25, 2011

Extended Metaphor!

The poem below is the first one I've written that is a proper extended metaphor ( Developed new skills). I actually put quite a lot of thought into it (the 10 minutes that it took to come up with it constitutes as a "quite a lot of thought" in my books) This also shows that I have  Shown perseverance and commitment in this activity, as I have written quite a large number of poems since I took it up as a hobby (though I have only added a few of them to this blog).



                            The Apple

At first its a flower
The maker made it pretty
And gave it the power
To attract those minds - petty

Then it grows into a fruit
Showcasing new found glamour
Only to be plucked by some brute
And stuffed in his mouth

If not, it hangs on a branch
And rots at a rate
Until it falls, weighed down by
Ugliness, and is no more

I am rather pleased with this particular poem for several reasons. Firstly this can be interpreted in a multitude of different ways, this is something that I have been striving to achieve in my poetry for a while now. This emphasizes that  I have Increased my awareness of my own strengths and areas for growth. Secondly every word in this has a purpose (and that purpose is not establish the rhyming pattern). In fact the disintegration of the rhyming pattern is symbolic, and I have made it so for a purpose. I have also incorporated a fair deal of literary features into this particular poem. As always though, I will not state what I had in mind when I wrote the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment